Upcoming Topics!

Upcoming

Thievery Corporation in Vail, CO 4/9

Rusko at the 1st Bank Center - 4/20

Nero at Ogden Theatre - 4/24

Bassnectar at Red Rocks - 6/1 & 6/2

STS9 at Red Rocks - 6/16

Thursday, June 9, 2011

STARSCAPE MUSIC FESTIVAL 2011!

Well well well. All of my anticipation and butterflies I had before this festival definitely lived up to my expectations, as Starscape Music Festival was as good as it gets. If you like dubstep, this was the festival for you this year because there were so many awesome dubstep names on this ticket, along with many other electronic music artists! Like the shirts Kevin and I are wearing?
Starscape Music Festival
When we first arrived, we (Kevin, Patrick, Elise & I) walked around to scope out the entire place and to check out what each stage looked like. This festival, which took place in Baltimore, MD, was also located right on the water, which made the venue even more fun and entertaining. The first group we wanted to see was Zeds Dead, check out my video below. Remember to mute my music playlist before you watch!

Zeds Dead was really good and I'm glad because the last time I tried to see them they had technical problems! Next was a lot of waiting until our big favorites came on, but that didn't matter because there were plenty of other artists we wanted to check out before the late night shows began. I really enjoyed EOTO! I had no idea that EOTO was made up of two old guys - that have great music! One of the guys was even singing every lyric you heard, in different accents too! That's usually not the norm in electronic music so this made them pretty unique and cool. We caught parts of Subvert and a lot of Doorly too! My EOTO & Doorly videos are below. Doorly is playing "Raindrops" in that video, however the sound is pretty distorted because I was standing literally right in front of some subs (blame me?) Oh and someone flicks me off at the end of my EOTO video, haha!


Doorly at Starscape
After checking everybody else out that we could during the day, Bassnectar finally was ready to come on at 11pm. He opened with "Teleport Massive" and from then on out the crowd went nuts. Of course since it was outside, glowsticks were being thrown every time the bass dropped (fortunately not at Lorin, he hates glowsticks!) - check out my video of that happening below! It also started raining during his set, which was actually pretty cool. And coming from a girl with curly hair, I usually don't like rain, but I don't think anything could ever upset me at a Bassnectar concert.

Bassnectar at Starscape
You can watch my other two Bassnectar videos from Starscape here & here. Needless to say, Bassnectar was my favorite show of the night. The crowd was huge (he played at the Main Stage and was the only act of Starscape that was allotted two hours!) and I had no idea how big it was until I saw the family photo and also someone's video of the crowd on facebook a couple days ago. Here is the family photo from Starscape! My poster didn't make it in like I hoped :-( *tear 
Starscape Bassnectar Family Photo
This poster that I'm talking about that I also mentioned in my last post was a great success! I got a lot of compliments from it but what actually counts is that Lorin saw it, told me "I love this!!!" and then patted me on the head because of it. Pretty much was the cherry on top of his whole show! Kevin, Elise & Patrick also got high fives from Lorin since we were smart and waited around on the front rail for him to come down and talk to his fans. :-) Here's us on the rail with my poster!
Unfortunately because of Bassnectar we had to miss most of Datsik and all of Skrillex, but Flux Pavilion, Excision, and Doctor P made up for that! (There were also a lot of other artists I would have loved to see like TC, Feed Me, and Dieselboy but there just wasn't time for it). Flux & Doctor P were so sick - both were really equally awesome. When Doctor P was on stage he was accompanied by Flux, Datsik, AND Skrillex so it was a pretty entertaining set! Excision probably was up there too, but I don't remember catching him in any of my videos or pictures. Skrillex also played "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" during Doctor P's set so I was happy to get a little Skrillex fix in since we had to miss him. Check out my Flux & Doctor P videos below! And by the way, Doctor P has the funniest English accent! It almost sounded like he was joking every time he said something on the microphone because it was such an intense accent, haha! 

After and between these two was when we saw Excision and then also Dirtyphonics, Steve Aoki, Paper Diamond, and Rabbit. Excision was awesome but since he was between Flux & Doctor P we wanted to check out the other stages most of the time so we could experience different places in the festival more. Steve Aoki's show was going nuts as usual! When we walked up to the Dance Tent, he was poppin' champagne and preparing to get into an inner-tube with Skrillex! Haha yes, check out the video of that here! And boy was Rabbit interesting. We walked up the hill after catching most of Paper Diamond (also good) to see all sorts of gimmicks going on during the Rabbit show. Not only were the two main guys wearing rabbit-earred gas masks, but there were dancers on stage wearing similar costumes - and dancing somewhat creepily I may add! Despite the initial shock of the weirdness going on, it made the end to the night really fun and entertaining. I only got to hear about three of their songs so I can't say whether or not I like their music, but the three I heard were pretty good. Below are pictures from Rabbit, had to show you guys...

Rabbit - very different & interesting! Guy in a metal costume
Well, thank you so much for reading my blog post about Starscape! It really is an ideal festival because although 3 or 4 day festivals are awesome when it's all said and done, this one being all in one day really lets you just party all day and into the night versus having to get some sleep! Next up for Kevin & me is Bassnectar at Red Rocks. Yep, Bassnectar again so soon. How lucky are we? And at one of the coolest venues in the world. My Bassnectar Red Rocks blog post might be just as long as this one since there is going to be so much awesomeness packed into one show (Beats Antique opens for Bassnectar that night)! So exciteddddd.

Have a great day everybody!
-Kaycie

No comments:

Post a Comment