Upcoming Topics!

Upcoming

Thievery Corporation in Vail, CO 4/9

Rusko at the 1st Bank Center - 4/20

Nero at Ogden Theatre - 4/24

Bassnectar at Red Rocks - 6/1 & 6/2

STS9 at Red Rocks - 6/16

Friday, February 11, 2011

Girl Talk and a little chit chat...

Girl Talk played in Raleigh, NC on January 27th and it was outrageously good! Not to mention that this venue was a great place for concerts - more music artists need to come to Disco Rodeo! I wasn't as excited as usual about going to Girl Talk because his music isn't something that I would really listen to as my music of choice, just because it is popular songs that he remixes into his own songs. This music does however make for a good dance party (or exercise music definitely). So I guess it does sound like I'm contradicting myself a bit here, because I consider Bassnectar's concerts a dance party, but the difference is this. Bassnectar's music (oh ya know just for example ;)) is music that I love because of Lorin's omni-tempo maximalism personal touch that he puts on his songs, mixed with incredible basslines. Girl Talk is like, "how low can ya go...." and "you make me wanna SHOUT!" all mixed into one. So, although both Bassnectar and Girl Talk use all different types of music to make their own, Girl Talk is much more recognizable by any audience because of the popularity of the songs he uses, where as Bassnectar's music is definitely his own by a long shot. Watch my video of the Girl Talk concert to hear what I'm trying to explain! Some electronic music artists are like the way I described Bassnectar's music as I have found that many artists or groups "sound" is very recognizable. For instance, when I hear The Glitch Mob or Pretty Lights or Big Gigantic's songs, there is a unique musical sound that each group makes in their songs, allowing their fans to recognize their music. This obviously doesn't work for every song, but trust me if you like any of the music artists I just listed, you know what I mean. Orrrr maybe I'm just a nut, and am too obsessed with those groups. Either way, I love the fact that I can point out a Glitch Mob song on a commercial without being told it was them, even when it's one I've never heard before. :) (It happens.)

So back to Girl Talk. It was nuts! Confetti left and right, balloons coming out of no where, toilet paper being blasted into the crowd. Then, even bigger balloons were shot out of no where that were filled with confetti that would get popped by the ceiling fans and it was like New Years all over again! Haha, it really was great. Very wasteful of course but Girl Talk puts on a great show with lots of shenanigans that keeps the crowd going. Below is the video I took of what I called the BLOB! (Remember to mute my Ipod playlist on the right).



I really had so much fun at this concert, but I wish there had been more room to dance. I don't think this venue gets crowds like this often, and they definitely sold the place out + more. The bouncers didn't even scan a lot of the people's tickets so I'm sure it was wayyy over capacity! Check out my video below of the FINALE!



I'm going to the Polish Ambassador/Ample Mammal concert this coming Tuesday, February 15th! I am so excited about this as I discovered the Polish Ambassador this past summer and really love a lot of his songs...but I JUST discovered Ample Mammal (who is actually the same guy, just a side project of his) and am currently obsessed with this song, "Cozza Frenzy by Bassnectar, Ample Mammal Remix". The concert will be at the Greene Street Club in Greensboro, NC and tickets only cost FIVE dollaz.

Here are some more of my favorites by this guy.

Portal Hopping by the Polish Ambassador
Drive it Like you Stole it by Glitch Mob, Ample Mammal Remix
Space Kitten by the Polish Ambassador

Laters! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment