Upcoming Topics!

Upcoming

Thievery Corporation in Vail, CO 4/9

Rusko at the 1st Bank Center - 4/20

Nero at Ogden Theatre - 4/24

Bassnectar at Red Rocks - 6/1 & 6/2

STS9 at Red Rocks - 6/16

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

PENDULUM, PRETTY LIGHTS X2, GHOSTLAND OBSERVATORY & THIEVERY CORPORATION, all in one week!

Pendulum at Beta Nightclub 8/10/11
LAST WEEK WAS SO CRAZY!!! I'm so glad none of my favorites are in Denver this week because we needed a break (until this Saturday that is)! Last Wednesday I saw Pendulum, then Friday & Saturday was Pretty Lights, then Sunday was Ghostland Observatory & Thievery Corporation! Let me get started!

Pendulum played at Beta Nightclub in Denver, CO and was a "DJ set" meaning it was just one guy from the group instead of all of them. At festivals and such you might see Pendulum's name listed as "Pendulum LIVE" because they are known for playing all of their music completely live on the stage, including other instruments along with their electronic sounds. Unfortunately I don't have a good video from Pendulum due to the fact that the place was small so every video I got was blasted with bass, but I got a few good pictures. Pendulum was really good though, and I definitely got my share of drum and bass for a while! Pendulum's most recent album called "Immersion" came out in January and includes some of my favorites like "Witchcraft" and "Set Me On Fire". Really glad I got to hear one of the guys since Pendulum is one of the groups we missed at Ultra. "Dirt Monkey" was playing in another room at Beta Nightclub and he was sick! Kevin and I walked over to that room about three times just because his songs were good each time we walked in. Funny name but maybe he'll be getting bigger soon? Who knows.
Pretty Lights at The Fillmore, Denver CO 8/12/11
Derek of Pretty Lights absolutely killed it at The Fillmore this past Friday night. It seriously was one of the best concerts I've been to recently and I got the same euphoric feeling that I get at Bassnectar shows, especially during "I Know The Truth". I can't explain this feeling but it's truly amazing and no other music has ever made me feel this way, so when this happens it's absolutely mesmerizing (and this is a whole other conversation I'll have to have another time)!  I was so happy this concert was so good though because the last time I saw PL in Raleigh, NC it wasn't that great. The venue didn't allow the music to be loud enough at all, and Derek hadn't come out with "I Know The Truth" yet, which is one of my favorite songs to date. The lights and lazers are also what blew me away this time at The Fillmore. They were AMAZING. Million dollar lights for sure! I'll have to admit it was the best light shows I've ever seen. Check out my video below, it gets way better quality as it goes on, and the video really doesn't even do it justice how cool it looked in this venue - also remember to mute my music playlist on the right.
Here is another one of my Pretty Lights videos from this night if you are interested in seeing some views of the crowd. Below is my video of a brand new song Derek played especially for us in Colorado, where he is from! He talks for the first minute about playing it for us.
Since PL in Raleigh hadn't been so good for Kevin and me, we waited too long to buy our Pretty Lights Red Rocks tickets since we were questionable about going both nights, so of course it sold out like 3 months ago and we didn't get to go. However, not only did this save us money, but we got to experience a different side of Red Rocks that everyone has got to experience one time or another in their life. We literally hiked/climbed the mountain behind Red Rocks Amphitheatre, and watched the show from the mountain, along with many other groups of people spread out around the area. This climb was no joke either. I felt like I had just ran a marathon by the time I got to the spot where we watched the show, so if you ever decide to do this, wear tennis shoes and bring a flash light! Anyways, it was absolutely beautiful looking out over Morrison and Denver, Colorado, along with the sound being fabulous. You could hear every song perfectly, literally. I took many videos to prove it. I hate that the quality isn't better, but hey our only light source was the moon. Check it out.


Pretty Lights at Red Rocks, view from the mountain 8/13/11
Picture of Pretty Lights at Red Rocks from his website
After making it all the way up and then back down this mountain safely, I busted my butt walking down a hill into the parking lot. Haha, not cool! But other than that, this night was really fun and eventful. Eventful because we met a lot of interesting people on the mountain! You will too if you ever decide to do this, not to mention you see glow-sticks, cell-phone lights, and flash lights every direction you look! The next night was Ghostland Observatory and Thievery Corporation. Kevin and I have been excited for this one for months! 

Anna Brown & me, rocking my Ghostland shirt!
Ghostland Observatory is so good in concert. Kevin and I had seen them once before in Charleston last year, and we were so surprised at how good that show was that time that we knew to be excited for them at Red Rocks. I found it interesting that someone as upbeat and crazy as Ghostland was playing before Thievery Corporation, since Thievery's music is a lot more chill than Ghostland's, but it was a blast and I thought it was a great match. My videos from both of these are kind of nuts because it was raining, but I believe I still captured how sick the night was! The rain also made Ghostland's lazers look glittery, which was really cool. Ghostland & Thievery both use electronic synthesizers to make their music, but they also incorporate instruments live on stage as well. Thievery does this even more so than Ghostland as I'll describe after the Ghostland video below.
Ghostland Observatory is made up of two guys (one that ALWAYS wears a cape and plays the keyboard, gotta love it) and Thievery Corporation is mainly two guys (that started the whole group) but they incorporate many other instrumentalists and singers/rappers. Check Thievery out in this video below.
If you didn't know before, you can probably tell from that video that Thievery depicts many different type of genres, including reggae, classical Indian, and Middle Eastern. They also incorporate dub and have rappers that come on stage as well. They are really an awesome group and I own both of their newest albums, "It Takes A Thief", and "Culture of Fear" - both of which I highly recommend. Culture of Fear just recently came out and my favorite on the album is "Fragments" - this song relaxes me, I love it. :-)
Thievery Corporation
Thievery Corporation at Red Rocks 8/14/11
What a fun-filled week. And guess what? During the time it took to write this blog post I found out that someone good IS in Denver this week. Shoulda known. Minnesota is at Cervantes in Denver tonight. Kevin and I considered going at the last minute but we realized we just can't do it all out here! Haha, so we're looking forward to Marty Party this Saturday in Boulder. Apparently Big Gigantic, Paper Diamond, and Robotic Pirate Monkey will be playing in Boulder before Marty Party this Saturday too... GEEZE!!!! :-D

Talk to ya after Marty Party, who I know is going to be SICK!
-Kaycie

No comments:

Post a Comment